In this fast gu >state of confusion—when to utilize the typical two-letter abbreviations developed by the usa Postal provider.
If you’re composing an investigation paper or dashing down a article, it is possible to most likely ignore most of the exceptions and unique instances and simply lean on these fundamental recommendations:
- In operating text, AP and Chicago both spell out state names.
- Both default to the two-letter postal abbreviations for mailing addresses, AP and Chicago.
- For several other abbreviations, AP utilizes a unique state abbreviations and Chicago prefers abbreviations that are postalbut features its own state abbreviations should that design be much more suitable for your publication).
You can probably ignore all the exceptions and special cases if you’re writing a research paper or dashing off a blog post.
Did that little appetizer keep you wanting more? If that’s the case, you are loved by me. And please continue reading for the expanded form of the brain-twisting details.
AP (online, fee needed)
- Explain state names in operating text.
- Abbreviate state names when found in (1) datelines on stories ( ag e.g., KOSHKONONG, Mo.), (2) picture captions, (3) listings, (4) tables, and (5) short-form listings of celebration affiliation ( ag e.g., D-Calif.). (more…)